Monday, May 14, 2012

It's a Bieber Fest

This past week, I made another Bieber cake for the same girl I did last year's cake for.  I jokingly told her mom that next year's cake had to be something different because I was running out of ideas for Bieber. 

I used the Frozen Butter Cream Transfer technique for the first time.  It turned out ok, but I definitely need some practice on it.

What you need for the FBCT is wax paper or freezer paper, a print out of what you want your transfer to look like and of course butter cream icing. 

I printed out a Justin Bieber coloring sheet off the internet...yes there are coloring sheets of the boy.  I really don't want to know what other things your can get Bieberized.


I taped the sheet under my freezer paper, and I outlined the picture with black butter cream.  After this I covered the whole image in pink butter cream because my fondant was going to be pink per the birthday girl's request.  I could have also colored each part of the picture a different color, like brown for hair and peach for skin.


Then, place another piece of freezer paper on top of your image and pop it in the freezer.

I made my cake and then brought out the transfer.  Definitely do this right when you need it because if you bring it out too soon the transfer will start to become soft and you might not be able to transfer it to your cake successfully.  I learned this because I had made cute flower and heart shapes, but when I got around to trying to put them on the cake they melted and didn't hold their shape well.  Lesson learned for next time.



Here is a pic of last year's Bieber cake just in case some of you weren't around back then.



3 comments:

Sarah said...

That is so good!! I took a cake decorating class last year and I loved it but it's definitely not the easiest thing- especially with a complicated pic like that. Great work!

-Sarah @ www.prettyprovidence.com

Sherry said...

You did a wonderful job with this! Thanks so much for sharing. I found you on Thrifty101 and I'm now following; would appreciate if you could follow back. Tx

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

Nice! It turned out really good! Thanks for sharing at Handmade Tuesdays.