Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I need A Hero

I promised a long time ago that I would post some better pictures of the cape I made for baby boy's birthday back in November. Well, I am finally getting around to posting them. Sorry for the delay. This was super easy to make. Anybody with beginning sewing skills can make one of these.

There is one side batman.



And the other side superman.



I used the pattern over at Serving Pink Lemonade for the emblems.





Deets~I bought a yard of each color, but I had plenty left over for other projects. That's where the red and black came from in the car tote. First, I measure my little boy from shoulder to back of knee to get the length. One thing that I wish I would have done was measure his neck. I got the neck a little too big on my cape. To fix this issue I will probably go back and add some extra velcro. To cut out the symmetrical pattern, I folded the fabric in half, and then drew a cape on my fabric. I cut that out and used that as my pattern on the next piece. After I cut the felt pieces out for the emblems, I Wunder Undered them on the cape. I then hand-sewed around the felt to give it a little more staying power. I sewed the pieces together with the emblems facing each other with a gap at the bottom so I could flip it inside out. I then did a base stitch all the way around the cape. After I was done with that I added velcro to the collar pieces. You can make these in any color you want. My little girl has one as well that Nana made after she saw this original one I made.

Hope you enjoy the tutorial.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!